Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Doctor Who minipiphany

Like that? Minipiphany...Mini-epiphany. I'm brilliant.

Anyway. I just posted a fan comment on a Doctor Who picture in response to someone else with whom I disagreed quite a bit, and as I was explaining my point, I think I just hit home on a huge reason why I like 10 more than 11, and one that has nothing to do with my opinions of Moffat or Matt Smith himself or the writing quality or anything. Just the true character of the 11th Doctor. Here it is.

Both 10 and 11 are very goofy Doctors, albeit in their very own very special ways :P Initially, when I started series 5, I just felt like 11 was an imitation of the goofiness of 10. I tried to chalk it up to poor acting choices, or poor writing choices, etc...but it just always nagged me because it felt weird. Through these 3 series with Matt Smith I have grown much more fond of his Doctor anyway, but that was one thing that never truly settled with me. Now I've figured it out (remember, this is my personal opinion). I think that when 10 is being goofy, it's because that's legitimately in his nature. He just has a goofy personality in general, and he loves to Ooh and Ahh at all the little things in life and he likes to be enveloped in the splendor of the universe. I feel like when 11 is being goofy, it's because he's trying to put on a bit of a facade to others (and possibly to himself) in order to hide all the darkness and sadness inside him. 11 definitely has quirkiness built into his personality, no question. But actual silliness and goofiness...I feel like that is his front that he puts on, because deep down he is just a very troubled man who is not at peace with himself.

I'm not sure if that made entire sense, but it has made me respect the 11th Doctor much more, just because I feel like I understand why he can be so similar to 10, almost to the point of feeling like imitation, but still be so completely different.

:)

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment